V20 Mclaren Vale Chardy
After working this site and witnessing how beautiful these vine were, I had to have the fruit. Site is nestled up on Wickhams Hill in between Kangarilla (Adelaide Hills) and McLaren Flats (McLaren Vale). Technically, fruit is McLaren Vale. Picked at 11pm on a cold Wednesday night and driven back to the Barossa to chill over night. De steamed fruit was whole berry pressed (reserved extraction) early morning to stainless steal tank and allow to settle for 24 hours with no additions. Juice was raked to the following
- 1 x 400ltr new un-toasted French oak barrel – free run. 100% barrel fermented.
- 1 x 400ltr 1 yo toasted barrel with toasted heads – free run. 100% barrel fermented.
- 2 x 2 yo barriques. 1 free run, 1 pressings. 100% barrel fermented.
- 500lts pressings racked to stainless steal tank.
Post fermentation, the free run barrique was used to top 400ltr barrels with lees spared. Tank pressings were used top the barrique so pressings would sit on free run lees. Intention is to let all barrels go through malo with tank stopped prior to malolactic fermentation. Juice is still at 20gms residual sugar so it’s been a long, slow formation which is perfect.
- Approx. 2 tonnes
- Potential alc – 13.5%
- Rich and textural
- Intended release date – June 2021